Besides in the Historic Syquia Mansion, this Camalig (Storage) turned into bed and breakfast space for the Mansion’s visitors and heritage patronage. The elegant Syquia Mansion is once resided by the second President of the Republic of the Philippines (1953), Don Elpidio Quirino y Rivera and his wife Doña Alicia Syquia y Jimenez when he was still the representative of the First District of Ilocos Sur.
The history of the mansion goes back to 1740 when a Chinese merchant baptized as Mariano Angco (original Chinese name “Ang Co”) married a Chinese mestiza Maria Juico. The couple could have built the original house. After Don Mariano’s death in 1799 the house was bequeathed to son, Don Valerio Angco, and wife Doña Juana Resurreccion. The couple’s son Don Justo Angco amassed considerable wealth and eventually became gobernadorcillo. He married Doña Petronila Singson- Encarnacion and improved the house into a mansion in 1830.
The mansion eventually was given to daughter Doña Estefania Angco y Resurreccion. She married the son of an affluent migrant from Amoy, Don Gregorio Syquia (original Chinese name’ “Sy Kia”) y Encarnacion; became parents of Don Tomas. Don Tomas Syquia was also a successful businessman like his ancestors. Among others, the business of Don Tomas was the recruitment of Ilocano farmers for Hawaii. He married Doña Conchita Jimenez, a Spanish insulare. Their beauteous daughter Doña Alicia became the wife of Don Elpidio Quirino. After years of sorting out the inheritance of the heirs, the Syquia Foundation presently manages the house. The mansion was restored to its former glory and became one of the most frequently visited house museum of the UNESCO World Heritage Site City of Vigan. In 2002, it was listed with the National Historical Institute that assisted in the regular maintenance of the artworks in the mansion.